Clean Energy & Jobs Outreach InternInternship — posted December 20, 2013
The Sierra Club’s North Star Chapter seeks a Clean Energy Intern.
Minnesota is on the road to a clean energy future. Our state is on track to get 25% of our energy from renewable energy by 2025, and this year Minnesota established a solar energy standard along with measures promoting community solar gardens and making solar energy cheaper and more accessible for consumers that will mean 35 times more solar in 2020 than today. Increasing wind, solar and energy efficiency helps protect our climate, our health, and our economy while creating good paying jobs in our state.
However, our work is not done! The majority of Minnesota’s electricity still comes from burning coal, polluting our air and water and sending billions of dollars out of state. We need to continue down the path of replacing our old, dirty coal plants with clean energy.
This year we have an opportunity to move forward in our transition to clean energy by calling on our state leaders to support strong clean energy policies, but we need to engage the public in this discussion. This internship will involve outreach to Sierra Club supporters, community organizations and the public in an effort decision-makers to support clean energy. This will include recruiting new volunteers, coordinating weekly action nights, outreach for a March rally and April day of action, and more.
- Coordinate Tuesday Clean Energy Action Nights (6-9 p.m.) Feb - May
- Recruit volunteers and event attendees through e-mails, calls and mailings
- Track information in the Sierra Club database (training provided.)
- Assist with petition gathering, recruitment March rally, and supporting April day of action
- Other responsibilities to be arranged with supervisor based on intern interest
- Interest in environmental issues and grassroots activism
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with staff and volunteers
- Commitment of 10 or more hours per week. Hours flexible but must be able to attend Tuesday
6-9 p.m. action nights
For more information or to apply, contact:
Jessica Tritsch, Senior Organizing Representative, Beyond Coal Campaign
The Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer