Clean Air & Renewable Energy
The Clean Air and Renewable Energy (CARE) Committee seeks to advance our abundant renewable energy resources and end our dependence on fossil fuels to provide cleaner, healthier air and a stable climate.
Our members are volunteers of all ages and experience levels who care about achieving better air quality, addressing climate change, and building a clean, renewable energy future. We advocate for policies that increase the supply of clean, renewable energy, support conservation and efficiency, and create clean energy jobs. We encourage action on climate change through energy conservation and clean energy choices at the individual, local, state, and national levels.
Our current priorities fall into three main categories:
State Legislative Advocacy which includes advocating for a 10% by 2030 Solar Energy Standard;
Beyond Coal to Clean Energy Campaign where our current focus is upon strengthening Xcel Energy’s plan by getting them to analyze retiring Sherco 1 & 2 and replace them with renewable energy and energy conservation; and
Federal Clean Air, in which we work to protect EPA authority in Congress and support new EPA public health protections under the Clean Air Act.
We address our priorities through many different activities. A few of them are:
- Hosting monthly happy hours and occasional potlucks where we can take action while meeting like-minded people
- Collecting petitions and writing letters to decision-makers
- Making phone calls to decision-makers
- Gathering information and creating fact sheets on current issues
- Organizing outreach and educational events and forums
- Engaging the public through attending hearings and other public meetings with decision-makers
- Working with the media to bring visibility to our issues
- Check the calendar back at the Sierra Club North Star homepage for upcoming events like these!
You can read our Energy Conservation tips in each month’s eSierra, or download a year’s worth here: 2011 Energy Conservation Corner tips
One of our long-time members and activists has converted a vintage Corvette into an all-electric vehicle! You can keep up with his project by visiting his ‘Volt Vette Project’ blog on our website. Check back regularly for updates!
New members are always welcome - please join us! We meet at 7pm on the 4th Tuesday of each month (except December) at the Sierra Club North Star Chapter office, 2327 E. Franklin Avenue, Minneapolis.